Wednesday, August 28

Cupcakes!

My little fella turned 10 just over a week ago, so I hit the kitchen for the traditional cupcake cooking frenzy for his classmates.  I heard about baking cakes inside ice-cream cones ages ago and ever since then I've wanted to give them a go.  They were so easy to make and turned out great!  The kids at school loved them (probably because of all the sugar!) and there was no rubbish for the teacher to worry about later.
 

 
If you want to make them, don't fill the cones too high with cake batter as they seem to overflow easily.  Cook them as soon as you fill them or the cones will go soggy.  I decorated the tops with a marshmallow (for height), vanilla frosting (for ice-cream), a finger of Kit Kat and a Jaffa (for the cherry).

15 comments:

Unknown said...

OM-Goodness Beccy, what an awesome idea. I love the finish products and yum send me one please....Think the grandies are ooming over next school hols from Melbourne so we are trying out Beccy's Cakes...Belated happy birthday to your darling son.xxxxxxx

Merry said...

Oh wow these are so fun. Love your decorations.

Marianne said...

Oh my, these look delicious. Belated happy birthday to your son.

Viv said...

Oooh how inventive Beccy, these look yummy. I bet your son and his class mates loved these :)Viv xx

karin said...

Wow, that looks yummy :) Well done Beccy ! Congrats with your sons Birthday.
gr.
Karin

Poppet said...

What a fabulous idea. These look great. :-) xx

Ardilla said...

WOW!!!!!..... they look so yummy, I would love them too (and I am not 10)!!!
great idea!!!

Purple Card Lady said...

Ooohh yummy looking! What a clever idea. :-)

Penny said...

I bet you are now the favourite Mum in his class!! He would have been so pleased handing them out. Wonder how the other Mums coped with their kids bouncing off the walls that night.....just kidding.

Donna Ellis said...

The children must have been wide-eyed with excitement with these, Beccy! What did you use to keep the cones from falling over as you placed them in the oven? FABULOUS gift for your 10 yo to remember throughout the years. hugs, de

Unknown said...

Those are sooo cute!! And I'm sure yummy! I'm glad I didn't have to deal with all those kids after eating them:)

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

These are crazy cute and I must try!

Beccy said...

A great deal of good balance Donna! They actually stood up quite well in the oven because they are bottom heavy when you first fill them up. You do need to be careful sliding them in though, make sure you don't hit the sides of the oven.
Cheers,
Beccy

Glenda Atkins said...

This is so yummy looking, must try!
hugs
Glenda

Robin said...

So wonderful and just adorable! My nieces would love this. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Robin